Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Categorized Aesthetic

So in light of my recent exploration of technical tools for evaluating the soundscapes of poetry I've decided to begin an ongoing discussion in a topic I'm calling categorized aesthetics. Basically, the area of inquiry is methodologies by which someone can mechanically determine (to a certain degree) some aspect of the aesthetics of a piece. I'm particularly interested in generating a graphical representation of these determinations. The harshness program is an (extremely elementary) example of a aesthetograph. My hope is that I'll be able to produce a series of similar programs (in type), each charting a different aspect of aestheticism. I think the next thing I'm going to try to do is measure alliteration. Similarly simple programs might evaluate consonant or vowel density (related to the harshness problem). One can imagine a graph which is an overlay of the outputs of several such aesthetographic machines. This would not only be visually interesting (as a representation of sound in a visual manner) but also potentially useful in criticism by enabling someone to extract readily by intuitive visual means the sound structure of a given poem. In order to do the proper amount of layering I'm going to have to learn a little about generating graphs with java, but I think it'd be a worthwhile endeavor and probably produce extraordinarily interesting results.

No comments: