Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Journal

So, I have to do a journal for my poetry writing class. It'll be a collection of various poems (6 of my own and 5 of other people's I think) and I think I'm going to use my poetic harshness program to give the whole thing unity. The idea, I think, will be to have the poem-graphs (aesthetograms) as entryways into the poems. The table of contents will be untitled, instead it will have texture graphs of the title (or perhaps the least granular texture graph of the entire poem). You sort of pick the poem you want to see based on the look of it, I think that'd be fun. This idea of aesthetographic conceptualization of written word could influence the thought in all sorts of ways. For instance, I could try to fill a given issue of the journal with poems of certain average values, or try to replicate a landscape, or do multi-leveled comparisons between poems. I don't even know what I mean by all that, but it sounds cool. Anyway, the basic idea is that you could use different aesthetographic machines (of which the harshness program is just one) to shape the poems in a journal and draw interest to certain aspects of them. What's more, you could literally draw those aspects.

A poetic constellation might be interesting. I just thought of this so forgive the rough segue. Basically, you graph each word of a poem on two axis, harshness for one (because i've already developed a system for calculating phonetic harshness (albeit a crude one)) and, i don't know, length of words. Then you could sort of plot the path which a given poem wanders. This is a poor example because it wont supply a plot which moves by small increments (which would make the constellations interesting), but then again it might be an interesting exercise to attempt to produce small incremental jumps in a poem according to this constellation graphing.

No comments: