Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Architectural Language

So, my professor (Johannes) from my Advanced Poetry Class described the most recent poem I created as "Architectural Language" a term I have decided quite adeptly sums up a lot of what my recent poetry is doing, or trying to do.

Architecture seems to be a fusion of engineering discipline and art, which has great resonance for me as a computer science and english major. It exists in a space between formal design, where control, structure, rhyme and rhythm are paramount, and that smooth flowing aesthetic place of natural grace and easy beauty. It recognizes a sort of intentional, man-made, and sometimes awkward flavor which has been injected into my poetry, while still understanding the aesthetic principles of pure sound and idea which govern my perceptions of value within my work. For me, my work is about creating aesthetic structures, places constructed to contain, epitomize, and direct aesthetics and ideologies. The structure of the poem supports the meaning and aesthetic (form follows function) and cuts a new path for language to flow into. Interest, depth, complexity, these I build, I engineer as best I can. Sound, meaning, these I draw, paint, scratch into the patient page. I can imagine the walls and windows built from assonance and consonance and alliteration, and watch within them the flow of striking words and slim images.

I'm getting carried away, I know, but I think that I'm going to categorize the poetic phase I'm in for the moment as Architectural Language, Architectural Poetry, and see where that takes me.

No comments: